Mmmm I love this dish and a favourite with my kids. The sauce is quite rich and flavoured so while not the same as rich cheese sauce it still tastes comforting, especially with the crunchy topping. This version comes in at around 410 calories and fed 4 without the need for any side vegetables so s bit high if your spreading your calories through a day but you could reduce the portion size and serve with some vegetables bringing the dish to around 300 cals. Alternatively take off the seeds and breadcrumbs it reduces to just over 300 a portion still serving 4.
Recipe: serves 4; calories per serving: 410 or 300 without seeds and breadcrumb topping; Feast rating: 4 (1 = left me empty, 5 = full to the brim)
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 medium broccoli
- 1 pint of semi-skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 50g flour
- 50g butter
- 2oz finely Cheddar cheese
- 50g mixed seeds
- 40g Panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to around 200 degrees c.
- Melt butter in a pan, add the flour a cook through.
- Slowly add the milk to the flour/butter paste until the milk is absorbed. Add more flour in batches and stir until all milk is absorbed. If the mix goes lmpy use a hand whisk to beat through the mix. Continue to add until all flour is used. The sauce should be creamy in texture.
- add the teaspoon of mustard, continue to stir on moderate heat until sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste (I like to add a lot of pepper!). Remove from heat.
- In large pan of boiling water cook cauliflower for 15-20 minutes (20 minutes if adding to cold water and bringing to the boil).
- Cook the Broccoli for around 8 minutes.
- Both the cauliflower and brocoli should still feel a little firm, but not hard, as it will continue to cook in the oven. Transfer to oven dish.
- Cover the cauliflower and broccoli in the white sauce.
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese, the optional seeds and Breadcrumbs.
- Cook for 20 minutes until golden.
- Serve with peas and green beans, and/or carrots if opting for smaller portions.