Determined not to order a takeaway after a day of craving this dish was perfect. Really simple and one the whole family enjoys. The whole dish (noodles and 2 fritters) comes in at 284 calories. I served this will some chilli dip which would add around 15 calories per teaspoon bringing the total to around 300 calories.
Recipe: Makes 10. Calories per fritter 65; Feast rating: 3, 5 with the noodles! (1 = left me empty, 5 = full to the brim)
- 100g Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 6 tbsp milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 small can (165g) sweet corn
- chilli dipping sauce
- spray oil
- Heat oven to 180 degrees c and place baking tray in oven lined with baking paper.
- mix flour and baking powder in a small bowl
- add in the egg stirring through and then add milk. Whisk mixture with a folk until batter is thick but no lumps. The batter needs to be thicker than single cream so it holds together but will spread in the pan. Add a small amount of extra flour if needed.
- Add sweet corn and stir through.
- Heat pan with spray of oil so pan is very lightly coated.
- Once oil starts to bubble drop a spoonful of batter mix onto the pan. There should be room for 3-4 spoonfuls but allow room for the mix to spread and sides not to touch.
- Cook each fritter for 30-60 seconds on each side until golden and cooked through.
- Transfer fritters to oven to keep warm while making the rest of the fritters and the stir-fry noodles.
Recipe: Serves 4. Calories per serving 154; Feast rating: 4, 5 with the fritters! (1 = left me empty, 5 = full to the brim)
- 120g dry noodles
- 150g shredded white cabbage
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 thinly sliced spring onions
- 2 carrots, about 100g, shredded or grated
- 3 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon of rapeseed oil
- 1 lime cut into quarters
- optional sweet chilli dip to serve
- Boil a pan of water and cook noodles according to instruction. Normally takes around 4 minutes.
- In a cup mix the brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar and garlic
- heat a wok or pan and fry the onion in the oil until cooked.
- add to the wok the cabbage and carrots. Cook for a couple of minutes until wilted.
- Add most of the spring onions, holding back a little to garnish and cook for 30 seconds to heat.
- Add the drained noodles to the vegetables the sugar, vinegar and soy mixture.
- Stir through until all the vegetables and noodles are mixed and coated in the sauce. I use two wooden spoons to lift and fold through the mixture.
- serve immediately with fritters. Garnish noodles with the spring onion, serve with lime to squeeze onto the noodles and a drop of chilli dipping sauce for the fritters.